Thursday, 23 September 2010

Full page add in 2000ad Megazine

Well the final image for the book covers is done and out in 2000ad Megazine issue 310 (I think) but if you cant (or dont want to) get the Meg, here is an image of the full page add.

The image is made up of the Lobster pot and sabre of the first book with the helmet, tulwar and arquebus of the second book.
All the "bits" were then re positioned and re lit and then sat on a basic blue background with plenty od space top and bottom for any text. Pye Parr then went in and repainted the blue to make it look like the objects were sat on heavy cloth and picked out some of the edges to bring them out. He then added all the text and book covers etc

A nice job I think you will agree!

Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Century of the Soldier Artwork

Well, the second book cover is now reliesed so I can show you... The Century of the Soldier!

A more Arabian helmet, a Tulwar instead of a Sabre and an Arquebus to replace the Mace of the first cover.

Thursday, 5 August 2010

How it was done....

rather than blog "how it was done" and have the dumb blogging software feed you my latest posts first (why you cannot have a setting for "oldest posts first" I dunno - anyway...) I have decided to set up a separate page on how the Prussian Courassiers helmet was made. monarchies-3d-how-it-was-done.html so you can read it in the propper order rather than reading the end first. Arent I good to you :) !

Thursday, 1 July 2010

Hawkwood and the Kings book cover artwork

Well, there I was sitting at work wondering what to do. We were in the lull between the end of AVP III and the start of working on the AVP III downloadable content project when Jason, the big boss, comes up and says

"You do re-enacting dont you?"
"Yes, English Civil War"
"Could you help Pye here with a book cover?"

And so it began...

Well, Pye had already worked out that he wanted a crossed sword and mace and that there would be the kings battle helmet infront. The author liked the idea but thought the helmet was too medieval. A 17th Century helmet was thought more approriate. You can read more about it on Pye Parr's blog.

Since I portray a Royalist musketeer, I don't have such Parliamentarian chattles as a "lobsterpot" helmet sullying my home, so I trawled the internet for a while and came across some lovely artwork by a chap called Chris Collingwood, so I thought I would link to him here.

A lovely image I think you will agree, but a black iron helmet is not exactly "regal", so the search continued...

finally hit on the website of a chap that makes armour for a living called Nigel Carren. He has done a lovely recreation of a Prussian Curassiers helmet. If you want to visit his site it is and here is a view of his helmet.

And so I started the 3D modelling process in 3DS Max. To be honest any of the current crop of 3D software would do the job. I especially like Lightwave for its polygon and subdivision surface modeling tools. Its UV editor is easier then Max's too, but Max is what we have at work so that is what I used. Next post I'll start telling you about the nitty gritty of the making the helmet. :)